Keep in touch!

Thanks so much for visiting my site! If you'd like to stay in touch, e-mail me and let me know you'd like to be included on my mailing list. I'll keep you up to date on new blog postings, updates, new music available (either streaming, or for purchase on CDBaby.com), and any other news!

Friday, June 25, 2010

Of Sore Thumbs and Silenced Instruments

Dear Friends,

About three weeks ago, a minor road block was thrown into the midst of my path of productivity.  I was cooking dinner for myself on a Monday night, and in one of those unexpected slips of the hand, I sliced deep into my left thumb with my brand new (and very sharp, I might add) chef's knife.  Although I had hoped to avoid stitches, the wound would not stop bleeding, neither at home, nor in the emergency room, and therefore the doctor decided it would be best to suture it.  My first experience with laceration repair was not the most pleasant experience of my life to be certain (who knew three local injections of lidocaine in the thumb could be so painful!), but I survived. Then began the slow process of swelling, pain, and eventual healing.  As I have not been able to use my thumb for three weeks, I have thus not been able to do much playing on my instruments, or much of anything requiring this miraculous digit's expertise.  So, yet another delay.   We really take for granted little things like thumbs!  May I never again forget to give thanks for small miracles like being able to grasp a hairbrush or squeeze a tube of toothpaste. I am seeing progress, as tonight I played my piano for an hour (slowly and softly, mind you). I am hoping that in a couple of weeks my left hand will return to its regular nimble state!

In the meantime, I am getting some ideas for the upcoming recording and my excitement level is beginning to rise!  I'm looking forward to arranging some older pieces, and also, with heaven's inspiration, creating some new ones - all unified around a central theme that I will keep quiet for now.  We all need SOME surprises in life, don't we?

Until next time,
Melissa :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving your blog and musings! So excited to hear about all your doing with your music and I'm excited to see how God is using and will continue to use your music to encourage, uplift and further His kingdom! So glad to hear that your thumb is healing! Miss you and hope to connect with you in August! Lots of love! Karlene :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Karlene! Can't wait to hear YOUR recording, and to see you next month!

    ReplyDelete